Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Blast from the Past!

Two weeks ago my friend Donna from England visited and it was the most amazing, surreal, bittersweet, blissful 24 hours ever!

Here we are having dinner in San Francisco. Isn't she gorgeous!? The British say gorgeous all the time and I love it! It's my new favorite word. Gorgeous, Dahling!

When I was 14 years old my family moved to Cambridge, England and one of my best friends was Donna Finbow. After only a year, my family moved to Boca Raton, Florida (near Fort Lauderdale) and Donna came out to visit for three weeks, two summers in a row! As fifteen and sixteen year olds, let's just say we had the time of our lives! ("Sugar and Spice"--hmm, guess?) We kept in touch for a while, but then lost touch and haven't seen eachother for 12 years!! I sent her family a Christmas card this year out of the blue (I realized that British people don't move around like we do) just to see what would happen and she emailed me! Inspired by her trips to America on Virgin Airlines, she became an "air hostess" 9 years ago and has been jet-setting ever since. She informed me that she had a lay-over in San Fran!! Unbelievable! I could not believe I was going to see her again after all this time.

I drove to her hotel on Tuesday night (4/1) and picked her up. We were like giddy school-girls! We could not stop hugging! It was almost as if no time had passed and we were 16 all over again! She looks fabulous! And the accent...I love it! She brought me a bag full of my favorite English Chocolates and cookies (2 packages of my fav Hob-Nobs!)

Then we went to the Cheesecake Factory overlooking the city and ate too much and reminisced for hours! It was so fun to catch up on everything and remember funny stories (she has an amazing memory!) She could not believe that I had picked her up in a mini-van and that I had 4 children! She is living with a wonderful man, Sid, whom she's been with for 6 years and they live in Liverpool and have a "ginger cat" and several fish! She has been all over the world and has experienced some amazing things. She even has a pet baby elephant in Africa named "Lempouty!" So cute!
We drove home and she stayed the night and we talked some more. In the morning, she met the kids and helped me get them to school. She played wii with Alex and drew pictures with the twins. They loved her and her accent. She loved the area and told me that if I didn't have four children at home that I was looking after, in England I would be considered a "dosser" pronounced "dossah" which basically means a kept woman! Hilarious! Too bad I do have those 4 kids to keep me busy!!--a dosser sounds quite nice!

Me and DD at lunch
We went to lunch with John in Pleasanton across the street from his office, so they could get to know eachother and they hit it off and we had a great time browsing the cute little shops.

Those British sure love Sir Elton John!
She and Owen had a special bond. It was so fun to see her interact with my kids and get to know them. It was a wonderful, comfortable day and we kept having to pinch ourselves! After an eventful day, it was time to say goodbye.

Needless to say, we were not looking forward to it. I drove her back to the city and she flew out the next morning. I cried on the drive home. We had such an amazing time together!

I love this girl! Bosom buddies! I found a quote that made me think of her and other friends who live far away...

The most beautiful discovery that true friends can make is that they can grow separately without growing apart.”
~Elizabeth Foley

I love you DD!! I'm so glad you're back in my life! Thank you coming and for sending me the pictures! (of all the times to have a dead camera battery!) Until next time...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute, you have the best friend resume ever! What other girl has friends in England? That is awesome, I am glad you guys got to hang out. You
"dossa" you!

Mandi said...

Okay, I want to be English. I love they way they talk. Major!!

Marilyn said...

Donna is stunning. She reminds me a little bit of Minnie Driver in some of the shots. You guys look like you had a blast. Dad is really jealous of the Hob Nobs. Hope you gave Donna our love and hellos!! Will she be coming back to SFO any time soon?