Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Conversations...

Hannah: "We voted in school today."
Me: "Oh yeah, who did you vote for?"
Hannah: "I voted for Barack Obama."
Me: "Oh really, tell me how you decided?"
Hannah: "Well, he wants to end the war."
Me: "Well, both candidates want to end the war, Hannah, they just plan on doing it differently."
Hannah: "Well, Obama wants to raise taxes and I like that."
Me: "Okay, but that would mean less money that we can bring home and more money to the government."
Hannah: "But the government pays for roads and schools and highways and furniture."

(If only government did pay for furniture. I would have a sweet looking house!)

Me: "Who did you vote for Jake?"
Jake: "John McCain. Even though there were only two of us that voted for him and Brian says he wants to kill more people in the war."
Me: "I hope you know that isn't true. No candidate wants that!"
Jake: "Oh, I know. He seems really nice and I like his smile in his picture. And he stands like this." (Jake poses with his hands on hips, chest puffed up, like Superman).

Whatever the reasons, I was impressed with their little convictions. Second Grade! Wow! It makes you wonder what they are taught in the classroom, although much I'm sure is regurgitated from the parents to their kids and then on to the playground. They have sensitive little ears and they are truly listening! It further convinced me the importance of what we teach our kids in our home and that we are entrusted to give them the best foundation possible of values and beliefs--of divine worth and love and service and virtue and morals and convictions--to help them make the big (and little) choices they will face in their life. They are going to form their opinions from somewhere and I would rather it come from my influence and our family values, than the playground or even the classroom. This is my responsibility and my divine role, my right, and my privilege. Pretty exciting (and daunting)!

18 comments:

Paige said...

I know my kids are "voting" for the black guy "because we haven't had one yet, mom." Good enough reason for me. Before they were for Hillary b/c we hadn't had a woman yet. Also a good reason.

Pic of Hansel and Gretel is the cutest.

Britt said...

You go girl. I love their reasonings for voting. Really, can't it be that simple?

Marilyn said...

Great post, Annie. It's so amazing to hear what Jake and Hannah have to say about the candidates and the process. And you are spot on and eloquent in explaining and relishing your opportunity to teach your children. Love you!!

Brent and AmberLee's Family said...

Thanks for a great post. Kids really are amazing with their convictions--you can tell they really thought things it through. And they're so observant too, I love that Jake noticed how John McCain stands.

You're halloween archive is such a cute idea! Hansel and Gretel are so cute!

Jon Lamoreaux said...

Kids after my own heart! We'll have to do a little more work on Jake to get him on the good side, but Hannah has it down. I'm a very proud uncle.

Unknown said...

Amen sista! I agree with everything you had to say.

AnnieB said...

Was that really Brad E. or was that Rach? I can't picture Brad saying "Amen Sista!" or writing it for that matter!
Ha ha Uncle Jon. If only it were so clear between the "good side" and the bad side. I do have to say that Jake has a very good little moral compass when it comes to choices! He's worth considering!! ;) He will not let a night go by without saying his prayers (and reminding us all to join him) and he insists on listening to his Primary Songs CD before he goes to bed EVERY night.

Jon Lamoreaux said...

I'm so proud of Jake! It's a good thing Democrats do those things too and morality is not the exclusive specialty of the Republican party. (not even close)

Camille said...

jackson says he is NOT voting for a guy named OBAMO...I wish I could vote maybe in the Mexican election right???ha ha I like you banter with your bro, entertaining.

Camille said...

oh and your house would not be as cute if it was up to the gov!

AnnieB said...

Jon--I hope that's not what you thought I was saying. I just said he has good judgment. Doing those things make him a good person, they don't make him one party or the other.

cmontroy said...

oh wow- what a post and the family comments even more interesting. I am still waiting for you to announce #5 is on the way. It is scaring me to know i am catching up with you, your parenting amazes me and watching you with four, i don't think i have a chance of measuring up, so you need to keep going so i don't feel that way :) Love you girl!

Hailey Smoot Kandell said...

That is awesome, Ady watched the Sarah Pallin SNL clip on your tube with em and has been singing
When I say OBama you say Ayers
OBAMA! AYERS! OBAMA! AYERS!

DId you see SNL last week??

AnnieB said...

Oh Carrie, please don't hold your breath for a Blatter Baby #5! Four is plenty! I want to be a happy mom, not a grouchy one. (oh wait, too late!) ;)

Jon Lamoreaux said...

OK. I was afraid you were one of those truely freightening republicans who think their party is God's party and therefore have the market cornered on things like morality. Those people drive me bananas. Sounds like you aren't that bad.
Sorry. I love you. And I love Jake, even if he is voting for McCain. Maybe I need to come to town for a visit and have a little talk with him.

Mission Mom said...

When you said, "Oh wait...too late...is that an announcement?????:) :) :) Just kidding!! But you know I think you are the best and most fun loving parents and whatever you can handle is okay with me. Loved being with the kids for Sunday dinner and all their soccer games on Sat. Whew!

Linsey said...

I think your kids have at least as good an understanding of the candidates, if not better, than most of America. Yea Mom!

Anonymous said...

I love the post- the honesty of children right!! You always have the most adorable recordings of your conversations! It is inspiring! Keep it up! We love it!!- Jessica